Building Trades

Building & Construction Trades One- or two-year program offered to junior and senior students. This course provides experiences related to the construction and maintenance of residential buildings and related fixtures.   During the year, students will spend 85% of their time at a job site constructing or remodeling a residential house.  The other 15% of the time students will be in the classroom.  Instruction will include safety principles, framing, plumbing, wiring, roofing, installing insulation, dry wall, painting, pouring concrete, landscaping, estimating materials, blueprint reading, hanging cabinets, siding, hanging doors, heating and air conditioning, masonry, and finish work.  Second year students are provided the opportunity to advance their skills in the construction trades.

6 Dual Credits with Highland Community College:  3 credits for MTEC 240 and 3 credits for MTEC 245. 

Recommended Student Criteria:  Students enrolled in Building Trades will be involved in constructing or remodeling a house, and will perform work at the job site approximately 85% of the time while at WACC.  Students should be able to climb an eight foot step ladder, stand for an hour and thirty minutes, and have the strength and mobility to operate various power tools, such as nail guns, power saws, power drills, etc.

Leave a Reply